Tuesday 9 February 2016

Madeira

Had a few day's of pure joy, friends came to visit so we did a lot of sightseeing its always a pleasure, Sue and Collette had been to Madeira before but had not seen the interior of the Island and being winter its always pot luck with the weather, but this year it has been amazing with lovely sunny warm hot day's.

First day was spent in Funchal where we walked to Park Santa Catarina the girls loved it with all the flowers and the tropical trees, then we came out and a few feet up the road I took them to Quinta Vigia that's the governor of Madeira official residence again loads of interesting trees and all sort of tropical plants.

Quinta Vigia and Park Santa Catarina in the old day's used to be a Cemetery.
Funny thing was I have been a few times there and have taken a few of my friends to show them the beautiful gardens and flora, but had never noticed the little church, as we were walking along I noticed that the door's were open and so we walk in and was so surprised to see this lovely little church ,lol sometimes one walks around in a daze and don't see whats round you.

So I wanted to know how long it had been there and how old the Quinta was,
As we were walking along saw two men talking by one of the entrances of the quinta so I ask him how old the place was and his not really to sure so I ask him where I can get a book of the history of Madeira and of this quinta which once had been a cemetery so he tells me and of I go, a little wile later he comes towards me with this official book about the property which he gives to me and says that I might find some information there. It was such a lovely gesture.

I'll be writing about it another time but for now here are some of the photos that I have been taking this past few day's.






1 comment:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Ana - how lovely to have friends staying ... and then being able to get out together. Love the strelitzia .. and your views - cheers Hilary